Celebrate mom by taking her out to one of these events around the country.
1. Charl & Corlea – Swing Songs, Sasolburg
Make a date with Steinway Artist Charl du Plessis and vocalist Corlea as they perform well-known swing songs at the Etienne Rousseau Theatre. Tickets are R180pp and R150 for pensioners, and can be booked online via Computicket.com.
2. Mother’s Day at Urth, Bloemfontein
The Urth Garden Centre are hosting a full day of activities to help you spoil mom. If you’re an early bird, join the Urth team for a breakfast buffet from 9am to 12pm where bookings are not essential. From 12pm until 3pm there will be a lunch that does require you to book. To find out more, visit Urth.co.za.
Planning to spend Mother’s Day at home? Take a look at this brunch menu from Your Family for some inspiration.
3. 2019 American Express Winter Sculpture Fair
Experience the finest culinary and wine offerings from the Franschhoek Valley in the beautiful setting of the Nirox Foundation Sculpture Park in the Cradle of Humankind from 11 to 12 May. Wander amongst the larger-than-life sculptures that are dotted across the landscape. Look out for favourites such as Fromages des France, Boschendal, the Kitchen at Holden Manz, Holden Manz Wine Estate, La Motte, Black Elephant Vintners, and Rupert & Rothschild. Tickets cost between R40 and R240. Book your tickets online via Webtickets.
4. Vintage and Artisanal Market Joburg
Spend the day browsing stalls at the Vintage & Artisanal Market on 12 May at Parks in Dunkeld. Shop for antiques, collectables, vintage clothing and handcrafted items, or just relax in the beautiful gardens at the The Parks while you sip on G&T and enjoy lunch from the food stalls. Entrance is R10pp at the door, while children under 12 get in for free.
Spoil mom with one (or two) of these unexpected gift ideas from the woman&home team.
5. The South African Lipizzaners Presents Mamma Mia!, Kyalami
Head on over to Kyalami for a special Mother’s Day performance of Mamma Mia! by the South African Lipizzaners. Tickets are R170pp and R120 for children under the age of 12. Book your tickets through Computicket.com.
6. Mbokodo Day – Mother’s Day and Kids Picnic, Pretoria
Celebrate the power of mothers at Bukra Manana in Pretoria this Mother’s Day. Wear a doek to represent the power of mbokodo (isiXhosa phrase for “a grinding stone”) and enjoy a lunch on the lawns while the kids keep themselves busy with the jumping castle, water slide and pool. Entrance starts at R350 for a mom and child under 12 and includes lunch for both. Thereafter it’s R200pp and R150 for children under 12. Book your tickets online via Computicket.com.
7. Lonehill Mother’s Day Picnic, Lonehill
The Lonehill Residents Association invites all moms and their families to the Lonehill Park for a picnic and market day from 11am until 4pm. Pack a picnic or enjoy the food on offer from pizza cones to waffle vendors. Browse the pop-up market of 20 stalls and enjoy live entertainment from 12pm. Tickets are R70pp and R30 for children under 13, and can be booked online via Webtickets.co.za.
You also might like: 11 of the Best Picnic Spots in Gauteng
8. Mother’s Day Morning – Meditation & High Tea, Durban
Take the time to regain your mental focus with a guided meditation by Resident Teacher and Buddhist Monk Kelsang Jampel at the Kadampa Meditation Centre in Durban and give thanks to the kindness of mothers. The meditation session will then be followed by a high tea with a selection of delicious treats and teas. Tickets are R200pp which includes the high tea. Visit the Kadampa Meditation Centre’s Facebook Page for more information.
9. Mother’s Day at Butlers, Hillcrest
Join the arty and positive people of Yaymaker at Butlers Restaurant and Event Venue in Hillcrest for an afternoon of creativity and fun. Try your hand at something new by spending the afternoon painting, drinking and laughing with your host and artist Kristen Maurer. Tickets are R540pp and can be bought online via Yaymaker.com.
10. Mother’s Day at Nuy Winery, Worcester
Spend Mother’s Day out in the country and soak up the last days of autumn at Nuy Winery in Worcester. Treat mom to a superb three-course lunch and a complimentary bottle of wine or bubbly at Nuy Winery’s tasting room and restaurant, Nuy on the Hill. For more information about how to book, contact Nuy Winery on +27 (0) 23 347 0272 or email [email protected]
11. 5 Ways to Celebrate Mother’s Day at Spier, Stellenbosch
Spier have five different Mother’s Day experiences to help you treat your mom this Mother’s Day…
- Take her to lunch at Vadas Smokehouse & Bakery at R395pp and R195 for children. Enjoy a family sharing platter of pasture-reared smoked meats and side dishes.
- Eight Restaurant has a lunchtime buffet feast that includes slow-braised pork, roasted root vegetables, oxtail potjie and Amarula milk tart for R450pp and R200 per child, and each mom will receive a gift to take home.
- While others will have to pay R80pp and R65 per child at Eagle Encounters, moms get complimentary entrance on Mother’s Day and the chance to meet Wally, the Wahlberg’s Eagle.
- Stay for tea at the Spier Hotel. For R300pp and R150 for children under 12, indulge in an afternoon of finger sandwiches, scones, macarons and other goodies. Mom will also get a gift to take home too.
- Being a mom is hard work, which is why the Spier Spa has reduced its two-hour hibiscus and black currant skin renewal therapy from R1 300pp to R940pp for the month of May. This spa treatment includes a hot stone reflexology session, leg and foot softening scrub, cocoa butter melt massage, restoration back mask and a gift to take home.
12. Mother’s Day Villiera Bubbly Pairing Lunch, Cape Town
15 on Orange Autograph Collection Hotel invites you to enjoy a four-course pairing lunch with Villiera Wines. Priced at R495pp, guests will experience a four-course lunch by executive chef Tamsyn Wells, a live music performance from Francesca Biancoli and a bubbly pairing. Moms will also be given a Lush cosmetics gift box worth R500.
You also might like: Our Pick of the Best Bubbly
13. Lunch at The Marine Hotel, Hermanus
Make your way to The Marine in Hermanus for a Mother’s Day lunch with the whole family. The menu includes the likes of stuffed baby squid, pork belly, salmon, leg of lamb as well as pear and hazelnut frangipane for dessert. The cost is R355pp (excluding VAT) and you’re encouraged to book your seat early. Visit The Marine Hotel’s website to find out more and book.
A journalist by trade, features writer on occasion and now the digital editor of SA Country Life. The first chance she gets, Leigh will tell you about a podcast she was recently listening to and how you simply have to make the move from radio. In a previous life, she once taught English on Jeju which left her with an insatiable craving for kimchi.