Chef Daniela Gutstadt of the Culinary Table shares her easy home-made sauerkraut recipe with us.
You also might like: A Chef’s Secret to Making Baingan ka Achaar
- 2 heads white cabbage, washed and quartered
- 2 carrots
- 3T salt
- 1T caraway seeds
You also might like: Pickled Pork Loin
- Shave the cabbage and the carrot using a mandoline.
- Add the salt to the cabbage and carrots and massage until the moisture from the vegetables is released and the leaves start to break down.
- Add the caraway seeds.
- Transfer the cabbage mixture to a fermenting crock or glass jar and leave at room temperature to ferment for at least 3 days.
- After that, transfer the sauerkraut to a clean glass jar and store in the fridge for as long as 3 months.
A journalist by trade, features writer on occasion and now the digital editor of SA Country Life. The first chance she gets, Leigh will tell you about a podcast she was recently listening to and how you simply have to make the move from radio. In a previous life, she once taught English on Jeju which left her with an insatiable craving for kimchi.