This simple apple and fennel slaw is a tasty addition to any meal.
Be sure to dress it with chef Jonathan Davies’ sherry vinaigrette.
For the sherry vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 8 tbsp olive oil
For the slaw
- 3 young fennel bulbs
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- To make the vinaigrette, place honey, garlic, mustard powder, lemon juice and sherry vinegar in a bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes to allow the honey to dissolve.
- Whisk briskly while slowly adding olive oil.
- For the slaw, trim the stalks and fronds from the fennel bulbs, keeping the fronds.
- Finely slice the fennel bulb, grate the apples (skin on), and combine in a serving dish.
- Dress with the sherry vinaigrette and season to taste. Mix the fennel fronds through just
Chef Jonathan Davies joined the team at Manor House in March 2018 and has been at the helm of their restaurant ever since. He takes inspiration from the produce of the Overberg and serves up mouthwatering meals. Feel like a treat? Then try his Moerkoffie Stout Mousse Recipe.
The restaurant is open for breakfast lunch and dinner on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and for breakfast and lunch on Sundays.
The restaurant can be found on the Stanford Valley Guest Farm on the R326
+27 (0) 72 198 0862; [email protected]
Recipes supplied and approved by chef.
A journalist by trade, features writer on occasion and now the digital editor of SA Country Life. The first chance she gets, Leigh will tell you about a podcast she was recently listening to and how you simply have to make the move from radio. In a previous life, she once taught English on Jeju which left her with an insatiable craving for kimchi.