This month’s Country Chef is Jaco Grové of Creation Tasting Room and Restaurant. His Biltong Gratinated Potatoes Recipe makes for a delicious side for any meal.
- 1.5ℓ cream
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g blue cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2kg large potatoes, skin on
- 220g biltong dust
- Salt to taste
- In a pot, place cream, garlic, 100g grated blue cheese and thyme, and bring to the boil. Reduce by ¼ and set aside.
- Slice potatoes thinly.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Start with a little bit of cream, sprinkle with biltong dust, followed by a layer of sliced potatoes, and salt. Repeat till all the potato and cream have been used.
- Sprinkle the last bit of cheese and biltong dust over the top for the gratin.
- Bake at 160℃ for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Set aside and allow to cool. Remove the potato bake from the tray and cut into portions.
Wine suggestion: Creation Reserve Merlot
Lifestyle, travel and food photographer Daniela Zondagh, based in Stellenbosch and Cape Town, was a top chef before switching to photography, which makes her the perfect photographer for our Country Chef feature Loving it Local (page 98). “But rest assured,” she says, “that when I’m not behind my lens, I’m paddling on the big blue or exploring outdoors.” After years spent in the kitchen, she loves nothing more than discovering and photographing new restaurants, places and people like she did in Stanford. “It combines my love for food, travel and photography. And I get to work with one of my food heroes, Mariana Esterhuizen.”