Two-way Carrot Salad and Buttered Prawns Recipe
- 5 prawns per person, deveined and de-headed
- 8 purple carrots
- 2 bulbs baby fennel
- 7 fermented carrots
- 30ml wild rice
- 500ml vegetable oil
- bay leaf powder
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
For the fermented carrots
- 500g well washed baby carrots
- 9tbs coarse salt
- thumb-size piece of ginger
- 2 litres water
- 125ml whey (hang 500g yoghurt in muslin in the fridge and collect the whey, use the curd to make labne)
For the carrot purée
- 500g carrots, chopped
- 5ml coriander seeds
- 5ml fennel seeds
- 15ml butter
- small pinch of sugar
- To make the fermented carrots, place all the ingredients in a container (a large glass jar works well). Cover the opening with cheesecloth and leave at room temperature for 7-10 days. Then store in the fridge until needed.
- Make the carrot purée, by placing all the ingredients in a foil envelope. Seal and bake in 160°C oven until tender, about 2 hours. Purée and season to taste. Place in a piping bag.
- Heat vegetable oil, add rice and cook till puffed. Drain very quickly as rice can burn easily. Cook prawns on a ridge grill pan or grill on the coals. Season with salt, pepper and squeeze of lemon. Remove from heat.
- To serve, pipe carrot purée from portion bag onto plate off centre. Using a spoon drag the purée to create a teardrop shape. Shave fennel, and mix with baby and fermented carrots, season and dress with lemon and olive oil. Arrange on a plate with prawns and finish by sprinkling over some rice and dusting with bay leaf powder.
Wine suggestion: Môreson Solitaire