This Christmas Spiced Red Cabbage recipe from Wonderbag makes for a delicious side for your festive lunch.
Read more about the Wonderbag story here.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Time on stove: 40 minutes
Time in Wonderbag: 2 hours
Time saved on stove: 1 hour
- 1 large red cabbage (about 1kg)
- 25g butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice 1 orange
- 1 clove
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 250ml vegetable bouillon
- 30ml red wine vinegar
- 250ml water
- 5ml black pepper
- 5ml salt
- 30ml brown sugar
- Peel off the outer leaves of the cabbage, then cut into quarters and slice out the core. Use a sharp knife or the slicing attachment of a food processor to thinly slice the cabbage.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, then tip in the onions and gently fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the orange zest to the pan along with the cinnamon stick, then cook for 1 minute more. Add the shredded cabbage, then pour over the vegetable bouillon, red wine vinegar, orange juice and water. Add the sugar and seasoning. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Place the sealed pot on a cloth or mat in the Wonderbag and cook for 2 hours.
Looking for another Wonderbag recipe? Try Cider-glazed Gammon.
A journalist by trade, features writer on occasion and now the digital editor of SA Country Life. The first chance she gets, Leigh will tell you about a podcast she was recently listening to and how you simply have to make the move from radio. In a previous life, she once taught English on Jeju which left her with an insatiable craving for kimchi.