Growing up on a wine farm just outside Paarl, Johan Engelbrecht remembers watching, intrigued by his mom Ilse as she prepared food for weddings and functions. What was once a young boy’s dream, is now a reality as Engelbrecht has joined Cascade Country Manor as the new Head Chef where he will lead his own culinary team. Try his curried chicken salad with apple and raisins recipe…
- 1 free range chicken breast
- 60g of mixed raisins
- 60g of sliced apple (put a little lemon juice over slices to prevent discolouring)
- pinch of salt
- MSG free chicken spice
- black pepper to taste
- 15ml mild curry
- 50ml cream
- 15ml vinegar
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salad mix (ingredients of your choice)
- Slice chicken breast into thin strips on a cutting board, add the salt, pepper and chicken spice.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Wait until the oil starts smoking and then add the seasoned chicken strips. Brown the strips and add the curry, vinegar, cardamom, cinnamon, sugar and cream. Turn the heat down and reduce the sauce a little before adding the raisins.
- Make a small salad, add the chicken and raisins. Drizzle the salad with curry sauce and top with apple slices.