Winter is here, which not only means cold weather but for most people, it sadly also means weight gain. Research shows that we tend to gain weight during the cold winter months for various reasons, including staying in bed instead of going outdoors, stopping exercise and a big reason is eating comfort foods.
When the temperature plummets, we aren’t just reaching for blankets and jackets, but also for heavier, more warming foods. In fact, eating helps raise body temperature, which could be the reasoning behind our increased desire to seek out hearty stews and comforting bowls of pasta.
Here are some Pouyoukas tips on how not to gain weight this winter.
- Don’t stop your normal exercise routine;
- Cook at home rather than eating out;
- Use the 80/20 rule (eat healthy foods 80% of the time and let go 20% of the time);
- Be wary of delicious hot drinks, which can contain a lot more calories than you think; and
- Drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day to stay hydrated, which we often forget to do in winter.
Pouyoukas will also help you enjoy your comfort food this winter but not pack on the pounds with this delicious and healthy lentil curry.
1½ tablespoons oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup Pouyoukas lentils
1 medium sweet potato, cut into cubes
1 large carrot, chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3½ cups (750ml) stock
½ cup coconut milk
Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the onion. Add Pouyoukas lentils, potato, carrot and spices and stir to combine everything.
Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until the lentils and sweet potato are tender.
Stir in the ½ cup of coconut milk.
Serve with brown rice.