Don’t think you have to give up everything when going gluten-free. Chef Mune Kimura’s gluten-free chocolate cake recipe is a real winner.
This gluten-free chocolate cake recipe will have you thinking you’re eating the real thing.
- 255g salted butter
- 280g 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 eggs (separated)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 150g ground almond
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Melt butter and chocolate in a pot over medium heat. Take care not to overheat. Remove when just melted.
- Whisk egg yolks, white and brown sugar in a bowl. Add the egg mixture and almond flour to the chocolate pot.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peak stage and fold into the chocolate mixture. Do not overmix.
- Pour mixture into 23cm springform cake tin lined with non-stick paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 28-30 minutes until just set.
Chef Mune Kimura joined forces with Marie Condé to set up Postcard Café. It may have started out as a great spot to get a slice of cake and a cup of coffee, but Mune has been able to build it into a popular restaurant in the Jonkershoek Valley. Read more about how he did just that in our Country Chef interview.
+27 (0) 21 861 7703; [email protected]
Open Wednesday to Sunday from 9am to 4pm
Recipes supplied and approved by chef.
Photography Francois Pistorius
A journalist by trade, features writer on occasion and now the digital editor of SA Country Life. The first chance she gets, Leigh will tell you about a podcast she was recently listening to and how you simply have to make the move from radio. In a previous life, she once taught English on Jeju which left her with an insatiable craving for kimchi.