The avo and creamed cheese perfectly balances out the chilli kick in this dish. Try this Mushroom chilli con carne with avocado and creamed cheese recipe.
- 5ml olive oil
- 350g lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 punnets baby mushrooms halved
- 3ml salt
- 2ml pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 15 minutes or until browned. Add onion, red pepper, garlic and chopped chilli. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly. Add beans and mushrooms. Increase heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes or until beans are heated through, mushrooms are tender and sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with seeded nacho chips, fresh avocado and cream cheese.
Cooks tip: This recipe is great to make in advance and freeze it until you need it, simply let it thaw and then allow it to heat up slowly in a pot.