Jaco Grové of Creation Tasting Room and Restaurant in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley show us how to prepare fresh greens with his Pan-Fried Fine Beans with Sultana-caper Dressing Recipe.
- 400g fine green beans
- 80g sultanas
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 20g bean sprouts
- Wash the beans under cold running water. Blanch the beans for 1 minute in a pot of boiling water, then refresh in a bowl of ice water. Set aside.
- Place the sultanas in a pot and cover with water. Rinse the capers to remove excess salt and add to the sultanas. Bring to the boil, then take off the heat.
- Blend till smooth and use as dressing.
- Flash-fry the beans for a minute in a hot pan with oil. Remove from heat and add the butter.
- Plate on a platter and drizzle with the caper and sultana dressing. Garnish with the bean sprouts.
Wine suggestion: Creation Sauvignon Blanc
Lifestyle, travel and food photographer Daniela Zondagh, based in Stellenbosch and Cape Town, was a top chef before switching to photography, which makes her the perfect photographer for our Country Chef feature Loving it Local (page 98). “But rest assured,” she says, “that when I’m not behind my lens, I’m paddling on the big blue or exploring outdoors.” After years spent in the kitchen, she loves nothing more than discovering and photographing new restaurants, places and people like she did in Stanford. “It combines my love for food, travel and photography. And I get to work with one of my food heroes, Mariana Esterhuizen.”