Give this Aubergine, Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Salad Recipe with a Yoghurt Dressing a try.
Mogg’s Country Cookhouse is a family run restaurant in the Hemel en Aarde Valley and they shared their aubergine, chickpea and roasted red pepper salad recipe with us.
Aubergine and Roasted Red Pepper Salad Recipe
For the salad
- 2 large aubergines, cut in strips lengthwise
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tin chickpeas
- handful cherry tomatoes
- 1 roasted red pepper
- handful mixed salad leaves
- a few thinly sliced red onion rings
- ½ avocado
- coriander, oregano, basil leaves
- 125g roasted pistachio nuts
- salt, pepper and sugar
For the Middle Eastern yoghurt dressing
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup coriander
- 1½ tbs oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp honey
- dash of lemon juice
- Lightly fry aubergine strips in olive oil mixed with garlic and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool. Drain and rinse chickpeas and sauté in a hot pan for a minute with salt, pepper and fresh coriander.
- Allow to cool. Sprinkle sugar, salt, pepper and oregano on the cherry tomatoes and roast in the oven until soft. On the same tray roast the red pepper whole. When cool, peel and remove pips. Make dressing by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Place mixed salad leaves on plate and arrange aubergine, cherry tomatoes and chickpeas, add onion rings, red pepper, a few basil and coriander leaves and avocado. Top with Middle Eastern yoghurt dressing, and sprinkle with roasted nuts.
Wine suggestion Sumaridge Sauvignon Blanc
Open Wednesday to Sunday from 12pm to 2:30pm
+27 (0) 76 314 0671