Serving up delicious country fare is what chef Jason Comins does at his restaurant on Overgaauw wine estate. It runs in his blood. Try his Coconut Meringue Roulade with Fresh Summer Berries…
- 8 egg whites
- 250g sugar
- 250g desiccated coconut
- 250g blueberries
- 250g strawberries
- 250g raspberries
- 250ml cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
- extra berries and mint, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and lightly grease. Using an electric mixer or a hand-held blender, beat the egg whites and the sugar until the stiff-peak stage. If using a hand-held blender, add the sugar in stages. Fold the coconut into the egg and sugar mixture. Spread the mixture onto the baking tray and bake until lightly browned and firm to touch, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place another piece of aluminium foil, slightly bigger than the meringue, on to your work surface and grease lightly. Once cooked, remove the meringue from the oven and turn it out onto the foil. Leave to cool.
- To make the filling, whip the cream until the soft-peak stage and spread it evenly onto the meringue. Cover the cream with the fruit. Holding the piece of foil closest to you, carefully roll the roulade away from you and leave it in the foil until ready to serve. It will become soft and liquid in the fridge.
- To serve, unwrap the roulade, slice and dust it with icing sugar, and garnish with extra fruit.
Wine suggestion: Overgaauw Cape Vintage 1994.