Khoi kos with a twist… Fyndraai’s Shaun Schoeman has created a melting pot of Cape cuisines. Try his Curried Pickled Prawns…
- 120g butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2tbsp flour
- 2tsp curry powder, or more
- 300ml tomato juice
- 400g tomato, skinned and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 500g prawns, cooked and peeled
- 2tsp mango chutney
- 75ml cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter and sauté onion and garlic in it over low heat until soft. Stir in flour and curry powder. Keep heat low and cook for three minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tomato juice, followed by chopped tomatoes and diced cucumbers, stirring constantly. Simmer uncovered until the cucumber is just tender. Add prawns and chutney, stir in cream and heat through. Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.