Café Roux is the dreamchild of husband and wife team Paul and Bernadette le Roux and Paul’s sister Lindi. Situated in the original Weltevreden farmhouse on the Noordhoek Farm Village estate, it has built up an enviable reputation for serving fantastic food and great wines as well as being a place for ‘families and animals’. Try their Warm Beef Sandwich…
- 180g sirloin
- 1 small ciabatta bread
- 50g rocket
- bought caramelised onions
- 3 slices tomato
Sweet Farm Mustard
- 1 tin (385g) condensed milk
- 50g hot mustard powder
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine vinegar
- 1 egg
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- salt and pepper
- Make mustard by combining all the ingredients, stirring and tasting. Use immediately or store in a jar in the fridge. Now make the mayonnaise.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the egg and garlic. With the machine running, pour in the sunflower oil very slowly until the mixture thickens. Season to taste.
- Using a ridged griddle pan, fry the sirloin for 6 to 8 minutes on each side (for medium-rare).
- Spread the mustard on toasted ciabatta bread. Top with the rocket, seared sirloin, caramelised onions, tomato and a dollop of the garlic mayonnaise.