Dennis Strydom has joined the elite community of Franschhoek chefs, but now that he’s at Haute Cabrière he promises to move away from fine dining to real country fare. Try his Seared Franschhoek Trout with Steamed Sweet Potato and Avocado Dressing…
Avocado Dressing (makes about 1½ cups)
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic, finely grated
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of blended oil
(1:1 vegetable/canola to olive)
Trout and Steamed Potato
- 6 x 150-180g raw Franschhoek trout or Norwegian salmon portions
- 600g sweet potato, steamed
- splash of extra virgin olive oil
- 100g watercress
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Make the dressing beforehand. Blend together all the ingredients except the oil until well combined. Slowly add 1 cup of blended oil while the motor is running. Keep in the fridge and use within 3 days.
- Season the fish with salt and black pepper to taste. Pan sear the fish, usually more medium than well done.
- Warm the cooked sweet potato lightly, season and drizzle with olive oil, add the watercress and toss with soft hands so as not break up the watercress too much.
- Serve the fish flat on a plate with the sweet potato and a good dollop of avocado dressing over the fish.
Wine suggestion: Haute Cabrière Chardonnay Pinot Noir