After 60 days and 7 000 kilometres on the road, it’s hard to imagine that the Ultimate Braai Master Season 4, Game On journey —which took 13 teams to some of the country’s most beautiful and remote locations— is finally over.
Billed as the most combustible season yet, 13 teams faced a range of exceptionally tough challenges from host Justin Bonello and equally rigorous judging courtesy of Executive Chef, Bertus Basson and Chef, Petrus Madutlela, neither of whom did much to pull their punches.
Try team Sparkle’s Steamed Ginger Pudding & Poached Cherries recipe.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Braai Time: 45 minutes
For the Poached Cherries
- 200 g fresh cherries, halved & stones removed
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cup of water
- 50 ml KWV brandy
- the juice of 1 lime
- In a saucepan, mix together all theingredients (except the lime juice) and leave to steep for 40 minutes.
- Place the saucepan over moderate coals and bring to a slow simmer to melt the sugar.
- Stir through the lime juice and set aside.
For the Syrup
- A thumb of ginger (approx. 3cm in size), thinly sliced
- 100 ml water
- 75 ml brown sugar
- 10 ml butter
- Bring the above ingredients to a gently simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
For the Pudding:
- 100 g butter
- 60 g treacle sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 5 ml cinnamon
- 5 ml ginger powder
- 2 ml ground nutmeg
- 1 ml salt
- 20 ml milk
- 20 ml molasses syrup
- a thumb of ginger, finely chopped
- Cream the butter and sugar and add the eggs one by one, beating well in-between. Sieve together the flour, baking powder, spices and salt then fold into the egg mixture. Add the milk, molasses syrup and chopped ginger.
- Grease and dust 4 ramekins. Divide the ginger syrup into the moulds then divide the pudding mixture as well – only to the 34 mark. Pour some water into a flat bottom potjie, then place the ramekins inside and place over moderate coals, placing a few coals onto the potjie lid as well. Steam for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- To Assemble: Put the poached cherries into four glass bowls then remove the ginger puddings from their moulds and place on top of the cherries. Serve with homemade custard and almond crumble.