Enjoy a good old fashioned burger the Manor House way.
We may have stumbled across the perfect burger recipe and it’s all thanks to chef Jonathan Davies of the Manor House. He’s even thrown in his Raka Shiraz Chutney recipe as a little bonus.
For the burger patties
- 1kg ground chuck
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2cm root ginger, grated
- 20ml Worcester sauce
- 2ml soy sauce
- 4 tbsp oats
- salt and pepper
- a little oil for frying
For the Raka Shiraz Chutney
- 10ml olive oil
- 8 onions, sliced
- 100g castor sugar
- 100ml Raka Biography Shiraz (or Shiraz of choice)
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- For the chutney, heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions and gently fry for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the sugar and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and vinegar and gently cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the onion mixture is soft and sticky. (The chutney can be refrigerated for 4-5 days.)
- Combine all the burger ingredients in a large bowl, mix well with fingertips but don’t overwork the meat as this will make it tough.
- Form into 6 patties. Fry the patties over a medium to high heat for about 2-3 minutes on either side, or till done to your liking.
- Serve the patties with rocket, mature cheddar, sliced tomato and the Raka Shiraz chutney.
Chef Jonathan Davies joined the team at Manor House in March 2018 and has been at the helm of their restaurant ever since. He takes inspiration from the produce of the Overberg and serves up mouthwatering meals. Feel like a treat? Then try his Moerkoffie Stout Mousse Recipe.
The restaurant is open for breakfast lunch and dinner on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and for breakfast and lunch on Sundays.
The restaurant can be found on the Stanford Valley Guest Farm on the R326
+27 (0) 72 198 0862; [email protected]
Recipes supplied and approved by chef.
A journalist by trade, features writer on occasion and now the digital editor of SA Country Life. The first chance she gets, Leigh will tell you about a podcast she was recently listening to and how you simply have to make the move from radio. In a previous life, she once taught English on Jeju which left her with an insatiable craving for kimchi.