It’s time to get back to basics and to that little pulse with lots of protein. The bean, a centuries old staple food, is healthy, nutritious and sustainably-produced. It is an excellent source of protein, fibre and micronutrients and an essential addition to a health-conscious diet.
Tip: One cup of raw beans makes 2¾ cups cooked beans. Remember to soak the beans overnight in cold water or, for a short cut, cover and microwave for three minutes on high, then leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- 4 cups cooked Pouyoukas 5 Bean Mix
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 200 g shredded carrot
- In a large bowl, combine the 5 Bean Mix, lemon juice, lemon zest, ginger, olive oil, spring onions, parsley and carrot. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving. This salad can be made a day in advance and left in the fridge to marinate and absorb the flavours.