One of the most venerable wine estates in the world is Nederburg in Paarl.
Words by Greg Landman
Known for its famous Wine Auction to which visitors from all corners of the globe flock to bid for the best of the Cape wines, and its superb Manor House—a magnificent example of Cape architecture at its best.
This is the home of The Red Table Restaurant which looks out over the fields ringed by ancient oak trees to the distant Paarl Mountains. The wine tasting Centre here is modern and relaxing, with friendly staff to guide you through the vast range that is available.
Wine has always been the raison d’ etre at Nederburg and some of the most iconic SA winemakers have played their part in making it what it is. People like Günter Brözel who was cellar master for 33 years until his retirement in 1989, and Razvan Macici who was head winemaker for 15 years, left indelible marks on the way things are done at Nederburg. The story of Nederburg is one of teamwork at its best—today under the sure hand of Andrea Freeborough. Recently joining the team is Elmarie Botes who has been appointed White Wine Maker, a position of responsibility which she is poised to tackle with great gusto. The range is vast but some of the wines you should not miss are:
• Heritage Heroes The Anchorman (Chenin Blanc) 2016 —rich and complex
• Heritage Heroes The Young Airhawk (Sauvignon Blanc) 2016 –a touch of oak lifts this superbly to great complexity.
• Two Centuries Cabernet Sauvignon 2013—magnificent flagship wine with 30 months of oak supporting luscious dark red fruit flavours
• Ingenuity White Blend 2016 –described as a fusion of 8 white wine varieties—sauvignon Blanc led—a knockout.
• Ingenuity Italian Red Blend 2013—elegant and hefty at the same time—Sangiovese led.
• Ingenuity Spanish Red Blend 2014—90% Tempranillo –deep dark and mysterious.
A visit here is a great way to spend some leisure time—to eat, to drink, and to unwind delightfully.